Saturday, July 27, 2019

X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Der Readers, I finally had some time to go to the cinema again and watched X-Men: Dark Phoenix before it gets taken out of projection.
If you want to hear my honest opinion, I wouldn't say it is totally worth it and a must-watch movie. It has his interesting sides but it can't compete with a few more movies that came out around the same time. That doesn't make it a B-movie, but sure is if you can choose among a wide range of options, you will pick another movie instead of this.
Additional information about myself is that I am not too fond of the X-Men world. For this reason might be that some details have not been recognized by me while watching the movie as I don't know the whole background story.
The plot is simple:
X-Men troup goes out in space to save a human spaceship which lost control orbiting around some energy field. Hearing what the X-Men say, this is the first time they go out in space, and nonetheless they go to save some humans before even having done tests if they and their technology are able to survive out there.
Trying to save everyone, Jean gets exposed to the energy, absorbing it in herself to avoid the explosion.
Mission complete. Everyone safe.
But, is it really safe for Jean to have all that new unknown energy in herself? Can she control it?
Answered soon enough: no. She can't really control this much power, gets scared and runs away. Meanwhile, an unidentified number of aliens reaches Earth and plans to get rid of all humans and inherit the planet. They felt the presence of the most powerful creature of Earth and plan to convince her to help them get rid of the humans, or maybe just absorb the power from her.
Jean is scared as she by accident hurts her friends, even killing one of the X-Men by accident. And this leads to a break between the X-Men themselves. Some want to take her down and get revenge, labeling her as dangerous and uncontrolled. The other half wants to take her back, bringing her back to the family accepting the powers or eventually find a way to get rid of them for good.
The two groups clash but eventually come back together when they discover the aliens' plan. They somehow avoid that the alien leader absorbs all Jean's power, fighting them untill Jean herself finds the best way to win and leave heart and its inhabitants in peace. An heroic move, but it brings sadness to the whole group of X-Men, especially Xavier and moreover Scott.

If it weren't the X-Men, but any random group of unknown superheroes created just for the movie, the movie would still be enjoyable. Maybe more enjoyable as you don't expect anything too great from that than entertainment.
I was probably expecting too much. It is a Marvel branded movie, automatically lots of other productions involved.
The plot is simple enough that anyone can enjoy the movie without any previous knowledge. Which is a good thing.
I found it lacking of introspection and development for the characters. The only character that has some kind of development is Xavier, who realizes how selfish he has actually been while convincing himself he is doing what he is doing for the others. The idea of what is right or wrong is very subjective. And lies told with good intentions might have to be revealed eventually before it is too late or they get uncovered by accident.
He probably was right at the beginning of his journey, but his school and programs got so big that he has to revise his doings and his way of thinking. What he drastically does in the end of the movie.
I watched the movie in "standard", which is how German theaters label the non 3D movies. I just don't enjoy the 3D part, it makes the images in front of my eyes loud and distracting. I want to concentrate on the photography and acting skills.
Since I lack the comparison with the 3D version, I am just hoping the cheap sfx of the 2D version are because they invested more money to make the 3D version look decent. Especially the thunders coming out from Storm's hands looked very cheap made in my opinion. Many computer effects, post effects and little details looked less impressive than what I am used to. All those big names on the screen before it starts, and low investing into production. Interesting.
I have been questioning myself about the death of some charachters, and also got curious if the movie storyline alignes with the comicbooks or has its own storyline growing parallel.

To know more about what I found out with my researches and my opinions on the other aspects if the movie, consider joining my Patreon for further articles and a longer review of the movies I watched. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment